Fiji Immigration

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Request for a facilitation letter from the Department. We will need the following:

  • Copy of the passport bio-data;
  • Confirmed itinerary; and
  • Immigration Status i.e. work visa, permanent residency, citizenship etc.

The facilitation letter will allow the passport holder to fly with their expired passport to Fiji ONLY. A Certificate of Identity (COI) will be issued to the passport holder upon arrival at the Nadi International Airport and will incur a fee of $147.75 FJD. Please note that the facilitation letter is issued on the notion that the passport holder will renew their passport in Fiji. Requests for facilitation letters can be sent to [email protected] or [email protected]

You can apply for a waiver to appear in person.  Please download the waiver checklist and passport application form and ensure that all documents are in order as per checklist and passport form is filled accordingly before submission to [email protected]

Please be advised that applicants from all visa required countries must apply for Visa to visit or transit Fiji.

These countries do not need to apply for pre-entry Visa: Visa Exempted Countries (

If your country is not on this list then you need to apply for Visa.

Applicant will be sent an email once application is successfully submitted online.

  1. The email will confirm the applicants FID number beginning with 0670-******  [this is to be used in all communication reguarding the application]
  2. The email will contain account payment details. [Please use details for BSP bank]
  1. It takes about 3-5 working days for confirmation of payment. It may take longer if there are multiple bank transfers or issues with payment.
  2. 14 working days for processing of Visa.
  3. Processing may take longer if further screening/assessment is required.

Please plan and apply for Visas well before travel dates.

To confirm Payment/ Get an official Receipt for payment

  1. To confirm that Fiji Immigration has received my payment
    1. Ensure that you have uploaded payment details provided to you by the bank
    2. Also request for copy of official receipt and attach payment details to [email protected]
  2. To get an update on my application
    1. Email [email protected]. Due to the influx of enquiries it may take time for our officers to respond to your query.

  1. Check documents/attachments to make sure they are in the correct format.
  2. Check the size of the document/attachment.  Make sure that they do not exceed the maximum size for documents as stated on bottom of drop box.
  • Foreigners who has retained employment in a locally registered business.
  • Students who wants to study at Secondary schools and Institutions
  • Those who want to do voluntarily work in a Volunteering organization in the country
  • Those who are seconded from the parent company
  • Religious bodies that wants expatriate preachers or teachers in their organization.
  • Those that want to reside on Assured Income

Please ensure all documents are submitted as per documentary requirements.

Applicant will be sent an email once application is successfully submitted online:

           1) The email will confirm the applicants FID number beginning with 0670-******   [this   is to be used in all communication regarding the application]

           2)  The email will contain account payment details.

Please visit the forms and fees page for more details.

Changing of employment in the country is not permissible unless approved by the Department of Immigration.

Changing of position under the same company or employer is permissible however Employer needs to apply for variation of work permit.

Extension must be lodged 30 days prior to the expiry of the current permit.

21 Days are issued for business purpose. If applicant intends to stay more than the intended days, then company/organization need to apply for Short Term Work Permit.

Work Permit holders can engage in part time studies only.

Not exceeding 3 years beginning from the approval date

Dependents/Spouse on exemption status (spouse category) or co-extensive residence permit can work provided they apply for work permit. They will need to submit all the requirements and checklist and pay the relevant fee for work permit.

  • Foreigners cannot work if they declare visiting or holiday purpose and are issued 4 months at the border.
  • Can work if they declare business upon arrival and are issued 21 or 14 days Visitor Permit.
  • This is only permissible if:

    • Applicant has gained Fiji Citizenship
    • Applicant has changed employment and bond is under the initial company
  • This is only permissible if:

    • Applicant has gained Fiji Citizenship
    • Applicant has changed employment and bond is under the initial company

Yes those that are registered on Exemption status under the VKB and Descent category can work, reside, study and research without the need to obtain a permit.

No. However there are other available options:

  • If child is registered in the VKB, he/she can apply for Exemption status under the VKB category
  • If the child is a direct descendant of a person (principal citizen) who was considered Fiji citizen on 10/10/1970. Direct descendants include principal citizen’s children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. They can apply for Exemption status under the Descent category
  • For those who do not belong to any of the above category can apply for residence or study permit.


No. there is no need to apply for another permit however applicant need to submit the following:

  • Attachment letter from the institution
  • Approval letter from the employer
  • Copy of passport biodata page
  • Copy of permit stamp

 Do note that you will need to have a valid study permit upon submission of the above documents.